- About Centene > Our Story
Centene is a leading healthcare enterprise committed to transforming the health of the communities we serve, one person at a time. We provide a full spectrum of managed healthcare products and services, primarily through Medicaid, Medicare, and commercial products. Our core philosophy is that quality health care is best delivered locally. We believe that our uniquely local approach enables us to provide accessible, quality, culturally sensitive health coverage to our communities we serve.
Empowering people to create and maintain lifelong healthy habits.
Delivering a full spectrum of care from physical health to emotional wellness.
Helping our neighbors create stronger, healthier communities.
The Medicaid segment provides healthcare services to individuals through government-subsidized programs. Our strategic alignment allows for improved management of healthcare services and enhanced quality of care, which represents considerable savings over state-managed programs. We employ a data-driven approach to ensure seamless communication between members, case managers, and providers.
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Medicaid Expansion Programs
- Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
- Aged, Blind, or Disabled (ABD) Program
- Long-Term Services and Supports (LTSS)
- Foster Care
- Medicare-Medicaid Plans (MMP)
- Other state-based programs
The Medicare segment offers comprehensive healthcare services for seniors and others eligible for Medicare. With a focus on value-based care, we offer a variety of healthcare plans designed to meet the unique needs of Medicare beneficiaries while reducing costs and improving healthcare outcomes.
- Medicare Advantage
- Medicare Supplement
- Dual Eligible Special Needs Plans (D-SNPs)
- Medicare Prescription Drug Plans (PDPs), also known as Medicare Part D
The Commercial segment provides health plan coverage to individuals through the Health Insurance Marketplace as well as through large and small employer groups. We aim to reduce and manage costs, ensuring quality care while offering a variety of coverage options tailored to meet the diverse needs of our members.
- Health Insurance Marketplace
- Individual Commercial Healthcare Products
- Small Group Commercial Healthcare Products
- Large Group Commercial Healthcare Products
The Other segment comprises a variety of healthcare-related operations and services, contributing to our overall mission to provide integrated healthcare solutions.
- Pharmacy Operations
- Vision and Dental Services
- Clinical Healthcare
- Behavioral Health
- International Operations
- Corporate Management Companies
Steady, organic growth and a series of strategic acquisitions have transformed us from a regional player to a national powerhouse.
FORTUNE magazine continuously ranks us as one of America’s fastest-growing companies. Between 2011 and 2022, Centene grew from 1.8M members in 12 states to 27M members nationwide.
We have industry-leading expertise in government-sponsored healthcare, having realized steady growth through five presidential administrations. At Centene, we remain one of the few companies to have successfully navigated the Affordable Care Act. Today we offer affordable and high-quality products to nearly 1 in 15 individuals in all 50 states, including Medicaid and Medicare members (as well as Medicare Prescription Drug Plans), individuals and families served by the Health Insurance Marketplace and the TRICARE program.
Accreditations and Awards
Corporate citizenship is a key component of our success. We regularly earn recognition for growth and innovation, as well as for our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Case Management
- Disease Management
- Health Utilization Management
- Health Network
- Specialty Pharmacy
- Health Plan
- Population Health Program
- Utilization Management
- Managed Behavioral Healthcare Organization
- Credentials Verification Organization (CVO) Certification
- LTSS Distinction
- Multicultural Health Care Distinction
Fortune World's Most Admired Companies® (2023)
Centene has been named one of the Fortune 2023 World's Most Admired Companies for the fifth consecutive year. Senior executives, directors, and analysts rated enterprises within their own industries and evaluated them on nine criteria, from investment value and quality of management and products, to social responsibly and ability to attract talent.
Ranked #25 on Fortune 500® List (2023)
We rank No. 25 on the 2023 Fortune 500 list of largest U.S. corporations by revenue. Centene has risen 461 spots since debuting on the list in 2010 at No. 486.
Fortune America's Most Innovative Companies (2023)
Fortune has recognized Centene as one of America's Most Innovative Companies, featuring it among the first 300 businesses to be included in the inaugural list.
Ranked No. 60 on Fortune Global 500® List (2023)
This marks Centene's eight year on the list, which ranks the top 500 companies worldwide based on revenue.
Ranked No. 259 on Forbes Global 2000 List (2023)
of largest public companies globally based on sales, profit, assets and market value.
Fortune Best Workplaces in Health Care™ (2022)
Centene has been ranked on the list of 2022 Fortune Best Workplaces in Health Care™, following an analysis of over 161,000 U.S. employee surveys by Fortune and the global people analytics firm Great Place to Work.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Awards
- Forbes America’s Best Employers For Diversity (2023)
- Top 50 Company for Diversity by DiversityInc (2023)
- Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index (2023)
- Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign Foundation (2022)
- Disability Equality Index - DEI®, Best Place to Work for Disability Inclusion (2022)
- Leading Disability Employer by the National Organization on Disability (2022)
- Top Veteran-Friendly Company by U.S. Veterans Magazine (2022)
- Top Supplier Diversity Program for Veterans by U.S. Veterans Magazine (2022)
- Military Times Best for Vets Employers (2022)
- Expertise in government-sponsored programs
- Localized approach with centralized support infrastructure
- Innovative technology and scalable systems
- Financial strength and scale
- Diversified business lines
- Quality and innovation