- About Centene > Our Story
Centene is a leading healthcare enterprise committed to transforming the health of the community, one person at a time. We provide a full spectrum of managed healthcare products and services, primarily through Medicaid, Medicare, and commercial products. Our core philosophy is that quality healthcare is best delivered locally. We believe that our local approach enables us to provide accessible, quality, culturally sensitive healthcare coverage to our communities.
Empowering people to create and maintain lifelong healthy habits.
Delivering a full spectrum of care from physical health to emotional wellness.
Helping our neighbors create stronger, healthier communities.
Our Managed Care segment provides health plan coverage to individuals through government-subsidized and commercial programs. We ensure quality care while reducing and managing costs, representing significant cost savings and budget predictability over state-paid programs. Our data-driven approach allows for seamless communication among members, case managers, and providers.
Our commitment to quality improvement has earned us numerous health plan accreditations and program awards.
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Medicaid Expansion
- Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
- Aged, Blind, and Disabled (ABD)
- Long-Term Services and Supports (LTSS)
- Dual Demonstrations
- Intellectually/Developmentally Disabled (IDD)
- Foster Care
- Medicare Advantage
- Medicare Special Needs Plan
- Medicare Supplement
- Medicare Prescription Drug Plan (PDP)
- Health Insurance Marketplaces
- Commercial Insurance
- Federal Services
- Third-Party Administration
- Behavioral Health Services
At Centene, we embrace a multi-business line approach to diversify revenues, control medical costs, improve the quality of care that our members receive, and improve outcomes. We strive to offer services that other Medicaid and Medicare managed care companies do not. Our broad portfolio of approximately 500 product solutions and services includes the following:
- Behavioral health management
- Care management software
- Dental benefits management
- Commercial programs
- Primary care
- Life and health management
- Vision benefits management
- Pharmacy benefits management
- Specialty pharmacy
- Federal contracts with the Department of Defense (DoD)
Our specialty services are a key component of our healthcare strategy and complement our core Managed Care business. Our specialty services help diversify our revenue stream, manage costs, and enhance the quality of health outcomes for our members and others.
- Pharmacy Services
- Vision and Dental Services
- Management Services
- Federal Services
- Clinical Healthcare
- Data Analytics
- Third-Party Administration
Our specialty companies provide a variety of products and services to deliver integrated healthcare to our members and other organizations. These products and services include pharmacy services, vision and dental health, and administrative services for the TRICARE West region.
Health Care Enterprises
Our Health Care Enterprises companies focus on developing more efficient care models to reduce healthcare costs and improve patient outcomes. Services include clinical healthcare and a cutting-edge healthcare analytics company.
Steady, organic growth and a series of strategic acquisitions have transformed us from a regional player to a national powerhouse.
FORTUNE magazine continuously ranks us as one of America’s fastest-growing companies. Between 2011 and 2020, Centene grew from 1.8M members in 12 states to 25.5M members nationwide. In Illinois alone, over the same period, Centene grew from approximately 16,300 members in the Chicago area to nearly 1 million members in every county in the state.
We have industry-leading expertise in government-sponsored healthcare, having realized steady growth through five presidential administrations. At Centene, we remain one of the few companies to have successfully navigated the Affordable Care Act. Today we offer affordable and high-quality products to nearly 1 in 15 individuals in all 50 states, including Medicaid and Medicare members (as well as Medicare Prescription Drug Plans), individuals and families served by the Health Insurance Marketplace and the TRICARE program.
Accreditations and Awards
Corporate citizenship is a key component of our success. We regularly earn recognition for growth and innovation, as well as for our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Case Management
- Disease Management
- Health Utilization Management
- Health Network
- Pharmacy Benefits Management
- Specialty Pharmacy
- Health Plan
- Population Health Program
- Utilization Management
- Managed Behavioral Healthcare Organization
- Credentials Verification Organization (CVO) Certification
- LTSS Distinction
- Multicultural Health Care Distinction
FORTUNE® World’s Most Admired Companies (2022)
For the fourth consecutive year, we have been selected one of FORTUNE World’s Most Admired Companies, a recognition chosen by industry executives, directors, and analysts asked to rate enterprises in their own industry on nine criteria, from investment value and quality of management and products to social responsibility and ability to attract talent.
Ranked #26 on FORTUNE 500® List (2022)
We rank No. 26 on the 2022 FORTUNE 500® list of largest U.S. corporations by revenue. Centene has risen 460 spots since debuting on the list in 2010 at No. 486.
We were recognized on the FORTUNE 2020 Change the World™ list of companies that have had a positive social impact through activities that are part of their core business strategy. The ranking recognizes our response to COVID-19 including our investment in infrastructure that helps Medicaid members access telehealth and removing barriers (like prior authorizations) to COVID-19 testing and care.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Awards
- Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign Foundation (2022)
- Top 50 Company for Diversity by DiversityInc (2022)
- Top Companies for Black Executives by DiversityInc (2022)
- Top Companies for Latino Executives by DiversityInc (2022)
- Leading Disability Employer by the National Organization on Disability (2022)
- Best Place to Work for Disability Inclusion by the DEI (2022)
- Top Veteran-Friendly Company by U.S. Veterans Magazine (2022)
- Expertise in government-sponsored programs
- Localized approach with centralized support infrastructure
- Innovative technology and scalable systems
- Financial strength and scale
- Diversified business lines
- Quality and innovation